Sunday, July 17, 2011

Media and My Marriage


Today electronics and media in various forms are a part of all areas of our life.  There are very few places anymore, in the US, that you can get away from cell phones.  These electronic devices are attached to us, and we are expected to be accessable 24 hours a day. 

How does all this affect our marriage?  My husband and I are not the most technical people you've met.  We are probably the last people to update or get new devices.  We have a desk computer that we share which is on line for Internet.  My husband has a laptop that is Internet accessible, but he does not connect to the Internet.  We do not email each other, because Pappy doesn't have email.

I have a Blackberry, which Pappy bought for me so that when we travel so I could access Internet and email.  My husband has a basic cell phone.  I text because I have to.  Our tenants will do practically anything to avoid talking to me when they owe rent.  But Pappy doesn't like to text.  He worked third shift for years, and we would talk to each other every night at 10:00 when I would call him; and then he would call me in the morning if he wasn't going to be in before I left.  Now that he is retired, I do text him through out the day, mostly about our properties or the kids, and he will text a short answer if needed.  Usually he just reads what I have to say. 

So Media has not affected my marriage a great deal, accept that we are available to each other at all times.  Every once in a while my husband will text me a sweet message, and I know it is a big deal, and he made a special effort to let me know how much he thinks of me.  And I want to melt, and be certain I am being the wife he deserves.

Currently we are struggling a little with media and our marriage.  Since Pappy doesn't use the Internet, he doesn't understand a lot about it.  Lately I have been spending a lot of time online, trying to develop a blog, mentoring a B90 Days group, etc.  Yesterday he told me he wished the computer would blow up.  So I need to get a better schedule going so I can get what I need to do, done.  And still be sure that I am able to take care of my family, my home, and make certain my husband realizes how important he is to me.

2 comments:

  1. My hubby has similar things on occasion. I have had to change the way I do things - eliminate some blog subscriptions, re-structure my time, etc. He's been much happier.

    BTW, I just signed up for Bible in 90 days too - my first time ever reading cover to cover. So far so good. Just not a big fan of Leviticus...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Thanks so much for stopping by. Your advise does sound good and I am going to try cutting out some subscriptions and the like. Glad you are enjoying B90 Days. We will be through Leviticus soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete