Thursday, August 11, 2011

Open Heart Open Home, Chapters 13 and 14


Today I am linking this post to The Common Room and the Headmistress's post about the book "Open Heart Open Home.  This week we are reading chapters 13 and 14. 

Chapter 13 is entitled Open Hearts and Chapter 14 is entitled The Hospice.  The chapters are about extreme acts of hospitality.  I have admired for years, the women I have known who make this look so easy.  I would like to do more of this, and hope one day to be able to do so.  We try to share our home with others as their needs are made know to us and as we feel the Lord would want us to.

Twice during our life at the farm, our grandmothers have come to live for extended periods of time.  My husband's grandmother came to live with us when my father-in-law (her son) died.  She was here for about 6 months.  It was an interesting experience for me having another woman in the house, and I feel a great benefit to our children. 

When my own grandfather passed on, my grandmother came to live with us until a month before her death, when hospice took over her care.  These times required a lot of putting the other person first, while still trying to provide the routine my own children were used to in their lives.  My grandmother resisted being here so much, but she was unable to live alone.  I think this was a great learning experience for my children.  These are still difficult times to think about and remember, even years later.  I remember going to a Ladies Day Meeting at our church during the time my grandmother was staying with us.  The lesson was about juggling our responsibilities and wearing many hats.  I sat there all day with tears running down my face.  At the end of the day the lady leading the meeting asked who had enjoyed the day and learned something.  I remember saying, "I don't ever want to study this again"!  But I'm so glad we were able to keep our grandmothers in our home.  And I most certainly would do it again.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Please come back again tomorrow.  Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment