Sunday, August 28, 2011

Proverbs 22:6

Proverbs 22:6   Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. 

 

This is a hard verse to deal with when you are the mother of adult children.  I tried very hard to raise my children in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord".  I carried them, and all their friends to church, vacation bible school, Halloween parties, egg hunts, prayer nights and devotionals at church for years.  I have three daughters, ages 22, 22, and 21.  One of our daughters has left home, and is not living the type of life that we would choose for her, the life God would have for her. 

What is a mother to do?  I feel at a loss.  Everyone wants their child to live the good life.  To have all the promises God has made for them.  The verse above says that when the child is old he will return to his teachings.  What if she doesn't live to be old? 

When is a mother to give up the guilt associated with having a prodigal child?  We rarely see her, unless she needs something.  She comes on holidays to collect her gifts.  She calls if she or the baby needs clothes, if they don't have any food, if they need money for gas.  She uses the baby to blackmail us into giving her what she wants.  She is in a relationship with a bad man.  He has taught her a lot of bad habits, and scams we wish she had never learned.  She doesn't like it that we will not allow him at our home.  We will not accept him.  He is abusive to her, and is involved in many bad things.  He is a convicted felon, not long out of prison.  This situation is making me pray for things I never thought I would pray for concerning my children.  I wonder if that makes me a bad mother?

How do parents turn away from their children?  I really feel that this is what I need to do, but I just don't know how.  Any thoughts or feelings from anyone out there?  My husband says he cannot continue to live like this.  I just don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment