Thursday, September 29, 2011

Canning Plans This Weekend


Today was Thursday.  That means Friday is not far behind!  These days I seem so tired.  I'm always ready for the weekend.  It is a mental thing that I think I'm going to get to rest on the weekend.  The weekends are just as busy, only different!   I really need to start back with my vitamins and supplements.  I think that would help my energy and well-being so much.  I got off track when the tornado came here, and we were without utilities for 7 days.  Some how other things just got in the way!  I'm planning to start walking, too.  I need to get on the wellness wagon!

Today I ordered blackberry bushes for Pappy to plant.  He is considering trying to sell blackberries next year.  They went for $20 a gallon here last year.  So if we are going to do that, we need more plants.  I ordered 20 plants total of four thornless varieties.  Pappy's favorite variety is called Apache.  They should arrive in time to plant before winter.

I am thinking about trying to find out how and when to plant Stevia plants.  I read that you can dry the leaves and use as a sugar replacement.  I'm sure you all knew the sugar replacement part.  I just didn't realize it was that easy.  We use a lot of sugar here.  About 10 lbs a week.  Baking, sweet tea each day, and I have a little sugar with my coffee!  So it would be nice to be able to replace some of this with a product we could grow at home. 

We buy very little in the grocery store, and even less that we HAVE to have.  I buy a lot of dairy products:  milk, buttermilk occasionally, yogurt, American and cheddar cheese, occasionally other cheeses, sour cream, I think that's it.  We buy bread, sugar, coffee, and tea.  We buy some fruit, vegetables, potatoes, and onions.  That is really about it.  The items we don't HAVE to have, that makes their way into our cart, are frozen pizzas when they are reduced to $4.50 each, the marked-down baked goods, and some deli items on clearance.  Come to think of it, I also buy graham crackers, saltines, and vanilla wafers. 

This weekend I plan to can grape juice.  We wash and bag our fruit and put it in the freezer until we have more time in the fall, to process it.  Now we need the room for the meat we are butchering.  I've never canned grape juice before, and I can't wait to try it.  Juice is high at the store!  For each quart of juice, you place 1 cup of grapes in a quart jar, and 1/2 cup of sugar.  Add boiling water and process jars.  That sounds simple enough.  We will soon see!

I'm debating buying apples for winter.  Scott's Apple Orchard here is now selling apples.  The are $16 a bushel.  I think we should buy some, but Pappy doesn't think we need any.  I may have to go buy a few, and some cider and vinegar anyway.  If I buy a few different kinds, they will look pretty as a centerpiece for fall.  What do you think? 

I guess I have chitchatted enough tonight.  I really need to start doing this earlier, so I am not rushed.  Talk to you tomorrow.  Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment