Tuesday, October 4, 2011

31 Days of My Real Farm Life - Day 4


31 Days of Life on Our Farm!


Hi!  Welcome to our farm.  We are so glad to see you!  Today the movers got our trailer moved to the lot down the road.  I don't guess they are finished setting it up, because they didn't call to get paid.  Daughter #3 and her son, GrandBoy, are going to live there.  She is getting excited.  She texted me and wanted to know if the trailer had arrived.  She wanted to know if she could  have the utilities transferred (No, there is no service there yet) and did we find a stove yet, because they will need one (No, when have we had time???).  Hope the movers will get everything finished tomorrow.

Tried to collect a lot of rent today, but didn't get as much as I'd have liked for the first of the month.  Maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

As I was driving down the road to the post office, I noticed a hand-made sign on the side of the road that said, "wood and ten for sale".  The "ten" was really barn metal.  They were dismantling a barn and selling the pieces.  I called Pappy to see if he wanted to go by and check out the metal.  He told me to go back and find out how much they wanted for it.  So I turned around and went back.  They said the pieces were 14 ft and 11 ft.  They had probably 40 pieces, and wanted $2 a piece, no matter which size.   I left and finished running errands.  I called Pappy and told him the price.  He told me to go pay the guy for all of it.  I went back and started to pay, but since they could see I was willing to pay, they came up with 75 pieces, and a few they would take $1 for.  I called Pappy, and told him he should come over and look at it.  So he came by and worked out a few deals with the guy.  He got all the metal for $160.  And he is going to take a trailer over tomorrow, and as they tear down the barn, they are going to throw old hay bales into the trailer.  Pappy is going to use them for seeding a pasture.  Busy, Busy.

When I got to the farm, I hung out some more loads of towels.  I got ready to start dinner.  I worked in the outdoor kitchen where Pappy's retirement 2 party will be held Saturday.  We have a lot of items brought home from empty rentals that were being stored in there until they could be sorted through.  Of course, Pappy wants them gone before his party!

Our party house

So that is how our day went.  Pappy's help didn't show up, so he had to do the bush hogging, and clean up the empty trailer lot, and all the other things he needed help for, by himself.  He is pretty sore and tired tonight. 

Well, I still need to send a couple of emails before bed.  See you tomorrow.  Honey

2 comments:

  1. You guys do more in a day than we do in a week!!! Where do you get the energy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey AngieK! That's probably why I am so tired, feel so old, and want to sleep all day. Of, course I never do. Hope you are feeling great!

    ReplyDelete