Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 29 The First Freeze


31 Days of Homestead Living!


Hello friends.  I have failed at this idea to post once a day for 31 days.  Sometimes life gets in the way, and that has happened to me.  But I have enjoyed posting again, and so I will get started for today. 

Last night we were expecting the first frost of the season.  When that happens, there are lots of things I need to do.  Of course, my husband makes sure the water won't freeze.  Some places on the farm, the water will need to be cut off until the freeze time is over.  He also winterizes the rental houses.  Puts antifreeze in the toilets, and runs the water out of the faucets.

The first thing on my list, was to go to the store to buy antifreeze.  I paid almost $50 for 4 gallons.  I got three that were 100% strength at $13 each, and one that was diluted for $10.  I don't know how I got that one.  I specifically wanted the full strength ones because it seemed like a better buy to me.  But it made its way home with me anyway.  I also got gloves for GrandBoy.  You  know, you never have too many pairs, and I didn't want to stay up half the night looking for his.

Next we (GrandBoy and I), went to the garden.  We picked all the green tomatoes, the peppers, and anything else that was still hanging around.  I also picked a few cactus balls that were left over.  I think Husband must have missed this cactus because it was up by the house, and he picked all the ones out by the barn.  We cut the flowers that are still blooming.  The roses especially.  I can't stand to leave them out there to ruin.  We move all the potted house plants into the green house.  Most years I cut the rose hips, and pick up the dogwood berries, but I didn't have time this year. 

But the freeze missed us so far.  Shouldn't happen before the weekend, so I still have time to gather some more.

We also spent time covering some of the windows, and putting rugs in front of the doors.  In the South, most of the year we keep our homes open.  We spend so much time outdoors.  But when it gets cold, I want everything to be warm and snug. 

I get the table clothes off the outdoor tables, and put up the cushions on the lawn furniture.  I move the good floor pots I don't want to freeze and crack.  I put them in the green house.  I get all the clothes pins off the line, so they won't get black with mildew over the winter. 

We pick up GrandBoy's toys and store them till the next warm day he will drag them back out again.  I guess that about covers it.  How we get ready for winter.  We will do more preparation when we expect the first hard freeze, but for now this will get us started.  What do you do to get ready for winter?



No comments:

Post a Comment